My friend and I took our boys camping last week and our dinner turned out pretty good! We only had the campfire to use – so we stuck veggie dogs at the end of a stick and roasted them. We wrapped corn on the cob in foil and threw them in the fire. I made an orzo salad and a green bean salad ahead of time, and they held up nicely. And we ended with smores of course!
1 lb Orzo
1/2 bag baby spinach
3 pieces green onions, finely chopped
1 roasted red pepper
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Cook orzo according to package.
2. While your orzo is cooking, roast your red pepper, and chop your veggies.
3. Juice lemon and add to 1/4 cup olive oil. add a ton of salt and pepper.
4. When orzo is finished cooking, put chopped spinach in the strainer, and pour hot orzo on top so spinach wilts some.
5. Add veggies and olive oil mixture and stir well.
6. Regrigerate until ready to serve, and serve room temperature.
Green Bean Salad
2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
½ cup cashews
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
⅔ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
¼ cup chopped green onions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and bring the water back to a boil. Cook the beans until cooked but still bright green, 3-5 minutes. Drain.
Toast the cashews in a small skillet. Once toasted, turn the heat up to medium-high and add the soy sauce. Toss to coat and cook until the liquid has evaporated – this should happen fairly quickly, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
In a large bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and sugar. Add the green beans to the dressing and stir to coat. Serve topped with the cilantro, green onions and soy glazed cashews.