This is one of the best pizzas I have made to date!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4oz shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
- 8oz cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- pizza sauce (optional)
- pizza dough (i used the fresh one from whole foods)
- Vegan mozzarella
- vegan white sauce: (i did half this recipe and it made PLENTY)
- 1 cup (130g) cashews, soaked in cold water for 2 hours and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cups (480 mL) water
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1/4 cup (26g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp (28 g) vegan butter
- 3 tbsp (30g) all purpose flour
- freshly ground black pepper
Make the cream sauce:
- Heat a heavy bottomed pot over medium-low heat and add the butter. Let it melt then add the 3 tablespoons of flour. Stir to mix and let cook for 3-4 minutes until the flour is lightly toasted.
- Slowly stream in the cream, whisking as you pour so it doesn’t clump up. Add the black pepper and whisk while the cream comes to a simmer. Let simmer until thickened, about 3-5 minutes, then remove from heat.
Make the Mushrooms:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Sauté until all the water has evaporated, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the salt and cook another 2-4 minutes, or until all the liquid has cooked off and the mushrooms start sticking to the pan. Turn off heat and set aside until ready to assemble pizzas
Make the Pizzas:
- Preheat your oven to 550 ºF, or as hot as it will go. Place a rack one third of the way down from the top of the oven, and place a baking stone on that rack.
- When the oven is nice and hot, prepare your pizzas one at a time. Stretch (don’t roll!) your dough to around 10-12″ diameter and place on a lightly floured pizza peel. Spread the garlic white sauce over the dough then top with the caramelized mushroom mixture, vegan mozzarella. I also added some tomato pizza sauce as well.
- Transfer the pizza onto the baking steel or pizza stone and bake for about 8 minutes. If needed, turn the heat to broil for another 1-2 minutes to brown the top.
- Top with arugula.
Add the cashews, garlic, water, salt, and nutritional yeast to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down as necessary.