The original recipe I found for these tacos was actually a chicken recipe, but I changed it up and made it vegan, using Beyond Meat, and modifying the ingredients a bit. The result were tacos that packed all kinds of flavor and texture! I used the leftovers to turn into quinoa bowls for lunch the next day….More on that below!*
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 Tablespoon agave
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cups carrots, cut into matchsticks
- salt and black pepper, to taste“chicken” marinade
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1/4 cup Korean chile paste, or gochujang
- 1 Tablespoon Agave
- 4 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oilTortillas
beyond Meat (tofu or seitan would also work fine)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, agave, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice and sesame seeds. Add the cabbage. Toss to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- Prepare your sauce. In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, Korean chile paste, agave soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Marinate the Beyond Meat in the sauce for an hour or overnight.
- When ready, warm up a pan and cook up the beyond meat, reserving any extra marinade.*
- Cook until ready – then serve as tacos topped with cucumber slices, green onions, cabbage slaw and kimchi. Cilantro and hot sauce optional.
*we took the extra marinade and marinated tofu, then baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so and used this tofu, the cabbage slaw, kimchi, green onions, slaw and cashews mixed with quinoa for a delicious lunch the next day.