Tacos! Who doesn’t love them?! We sure do, and we made this recipe twice now. The avocado crema is divine.
1 package extra firm tofu, pressed
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons conrstarch
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
2 garlic cloves
juice of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
- P the oven to 400°F. Begin preparing the slaw by combining the cabbage with the vinegar and salt in a large bowl. Massage it with your hands for a few minutes then set it aside to marinate.
- Once the tofu has been pressed, dice it into 1-inch cubes and then transfer to the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes on each side until it’s light golden brown.
- Meanwhile mix together the spices (paprika to pepper) in a large bowl. Using your hands, lightly coat the tofu with one tablespoon of oil and then transfer it to the bowl with the spices. Coat each piece evenly then sprinkle the starch on top. Mix with your hands or a spoon until each piece is coated with the starch as well.
- Warm the remaining 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat and then saute the tofu on for about 5 minutes on each side. Depending on the size of your skillet, you might have to do this part in two steps, using one tablespoon of oil at a time.
- Allow the tofu to sit in the skillet on warm then prepare the avocado crema by placing all of the ingredients in a food processor and blending until smooth.
- Warm the tortillas (I usually microwave them for 15-20 seconds) then place tofu inside. Top with cabbage and avocado cream and serve immediately.
- Tofu and cabbage can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. The avocado crema can be stored for up to 2 days.orginal recipe found here.