I’ve made banana bread several times on this blog, and this one proved to be a winner. I found the recipe on shutterbean, but changed it up a bit to make it vegan, and a tad bit healthier. It didnt raise as high as it should, but it still turned out pretty tasty!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg replacers (i used neat egg)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup puree)
- 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
Whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt and spices in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and ugar, breaking up any lumps. Add the maple syrup and vanilla, whisking until smooth. Prepare the egg replacer and add and beat until fully incorporated. With a wooden spoon, stir in the bananas, then yogurt. Add the flour mixture to the liquids, stirring until just combined. Do not over mix. Pour batter into prepared pan, evening out the top if necessary.
Bake until a cake tester inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Remove from the oven, and leave the bread to cool in its pan for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.