Ok, so I’ve never finished my granny square blanket. Im not giving up on it – no way – I just do more crocheting in the winter when I hibernate in the house and watch alot of movies. Summer leaves me wanting to sew for some reason. I was looking at some new projects to take on, but the thought of buying more fabric gives me anxiety. I wanted to do something to use up the fabric stash i have, so I had the idea to make a quilt. I started sorting my fabric and notice I had alot of blue, brown, green and grey type of stuff so I went with those. Alot of it is leftover scrap fabric. Decided to go with 3 1/2 in squares; updated my rotary blade, bought a long acrylic ruler and went to town on cutting squares. This is made up of fabric scraps from previous projects, old sheets, old shirts, old pants and new fabric. I thought I would make a baby sized blanket; but then realized I have so many squares cut, might as well make a bigger one for milo. Plus its my first one, probably not going to be well done enough to give away anwyays. So i got all my fabric cut and laid out and you know what?….this hardly put a dent in my fabric stash! Doh! I used up alot of the smaller scrap pieces I had but I feel like i put back just as much as I took out. I think I see more quilts in my future.
Heres everything laid out and ready to sew!
I started sewing some squares and then rows together. I found that putting washi tape on my machine as a guide to keep a 1/4 inch seam allownance helps tremendously. Also when pinning the rows together, MAKE SURE to pin the seams. My seams arent perfect, but so much better now that I have been doing this.
Here is my progress after week 1! about eight more rows to go…Then Ill decide if I’m going to add more….
And as you can see here, the quilt is already a hit! More updates to come….
Processed with VSCOcam with s2 preset