232. front of the house updates.

First, I painted the door.
Then the new address sign.

We finally got new lights installed (dj did it! i still cant believe it) and I finally moved those hostas around the light pole and replaced them with some black eyed susans, russian sage, lavendar and some ornamental grassy stuff. MUCH better. That russian sage smells amazing! I got the lights for a great deal on one of those flash sites, the same day I painted the door. I guess it was meant to be. I really really like them and they make SUCH a difference.

Last thing: that mail box. I dont know what to do with it. Considering painting it. maybe red? maybe black? All i know its it needs some kind of makeover…
Next year I need to battle the larger areas of planting in the front. Any ideas what to do in front of the window where the sad droopy tree is????
Suggestions welcome!

OH! I got a new doorknocker too! This guy from anthropologie worked out great.

230. new address plate.

The newly painted door has gotten me obsessed with making the outside of our house look more like us. The address plate that came with the house was white with gold numbers. (you can kind of see it in the linked photo)  I tried to spraypaint the numbers black, but we didn’t have the right kind of screws to put them back into the plate, and I realized that the plate itself was ugly and I hated the typeface of the numbers (I’m a graphic designer – i’m picky!). Ive been searching all over the internet (mostly etsy) to find a new address plate. The one I really want is $225. The other one that I really liked is around $100, and I would have to figure out how to get it drilled into the bricks, which I wasn’t too excited about having to do. So I went to home depot with the intention to just buy some numbers to stick on our mailbox for the time being but ended up finding these numbers that I kind of liked. I wandered over to the wood section, and found this piece of wood in a cart of scraps (so they let me have it for free!) The numbers were $1.50 each, and I already had screw hooks from this project.  A kind home depot employee helped me find some wood screws, and it seemed I had everything I needed to make this happen. Came home and put this all together, and it was really simple – all for under $10! I was also able to utilize the hooks that were already in place, so I didnt have to do any drilling into the brick.  I think its a HUGE improvement from what was there previously, don’t you think?!

Now onto replacing that ugly porch light….and to do something about that mail box.  I’m thinking of painting it…black maybe?

218. door makeover.

Our old door had a crack in it, so my friend patched it up, which means we needed to repaint. Instead of just touching up the messed up part, we decided to go all out and do a whole new color! Took alot of fretting over colors, (i’m not a good decision maker) – but we went with this teal blue color and I LOVE it. It inspired me to order a new light for the porch and now I’m on a mission to find a new door knocker, mail box and numbers that are more fitting to who we are. It is really amazing how just a coat of fresh paint can make you feel so fresh and inspired!

205. house update: milo’s room!

Milo’s room is painted and just about ready. We’re still trying to find a nightstand but other than that everything is in place. We opted not to hang anything framed around his bed since he’ll probably end up knocking it on top of himself. He got a full size bed from his grandma for his birthday and I got him the star wars sheets from pottery barn since I had an unused gift card from our wedding (um…that was almost ten years ago! )

My friend kristen came over and helped me map out the wall with the book shelf. I’m so happy how this turned out!

I hope to eventually finish this dresser for him, but I’m not sure that is going to happen anytime soon unfortunately.

I chose a grey color for his room, but it actually looks more blue than grey. Oops. But overall I’m really happy with how it turned out and so is milo! His words were “wow! It looks really cool!”

148. curtains hemmed.

After three hours at ikea, one of the many much-needed things we needed for the new house were curtains. I’m not totally sure what to do with that front room yet. I want to get some fun chairs, but I think it will take some time to find. I was reluctant to pick curtains first, because they will dominate what the rest of the room has to look like now. But you can see right into the house, so we needed to get something up there for the time being. I settled on these curtains. At only $25, if they end up being too loud for the furniture we pick in there, I’ll use my sewing skill sand we’ll find somewhere else for them to go! But for now (maybe even permanently, here they are! I’m blogging about it because I hemmed them! We had curtains once in our bedroom at the condo and they were about 2 feet too long (and really ugly), so I ended up getting rid of them because I didn’t have the skills to hem them. Not this time! I’m going to full embrace having curtains….and hoping to make some for some other windows too!