washi dress.

IMG_0756

Ah! So sorry for the lack of posts. I promise you I have been busy making things! 🙂
Summer has gotten the best of us, I guess!

Anyway, something about the long holiday weekends makes me want to take on a sewing project. And thats just what I did. My friend Emily and I have been drooling over this pattern since she launched it. We purchased it last September, and have been purchasing fabric since then with the dreams that someday we will execute this dress. We were both kind of timid going into this, but knew with eachother’s help we could figure it out.

We got a later than we wanted start on friday afternoon, and got to it. I used a sheet from the thrift store, so if it worked out, it would be cute, but if it didn’t, I only lost $1.99. Glad I used the sheet because it was definitely a learning experience. The sheet was probably too sheer to use as a dress and because it was a sheet, it was kind of more potato-sacky than I would have liked. I also got to really test the fit and see how it works. According to my measurements, I was probably in between a xs and small, so I went with a small the first time around. I retraced my pattern pieces and resized my muslin in a xsmall, and I went for it, hoping for less bulk in the back, and it seemed to work.

This pattern taught me some new things: darts! pleating! understitching! sleeves! Shiring! And I accomplished them all. Emily and I didnt get to actually finish on friday, so on Sunday I took the day and made my “real” dress – referring to you tube when I needed help. Overall the instructions are VERY well explained, and the dress is super versatile and really cute. There are lots of easy things you can do to personalize it, dress it up, dress it down, etc. I plan to make at least another one…or two…. 🙂

You can see other completed dresses here. If you are a beginner sewer, like me, and looking to kick your sewing projects up a notch, go for the washi dress. You can totally do it!

(oh! the fabric I used is by “dear stella” and its pretty much my stella’s color!)

186. tank dress, revisited.

I took another stab at the tank dress, but doing it a little bit differently this time. I was at the thrift store today because all the clothes were 50% off. I came across this strapless dress for $1.50 – I was drawn to the bright fabric and was kind of bummed when it fit very oddly. I had the idea to bring it home and try to turn it into another tank dress. I grabbed a tank for 50 cents and quickly went home and got started. I kind of winged this one – remembering what I did last time, and thinking of ways to revise it. Once I cut the top off the dress, i realized it was already going to be better because the skirt is cut on a diagonal, so I wont have to do all that cinching like last time. I placed it on my waist and marked where it should fall, leaving a little give to get on and off. I cut the seam down the side of the skirt on a diagonal, using another skirt as my guide. I then stitched it back up to my new size. When I put it back on my waist, it was a little too big, so I thought to add some elastic. I folded over the top of the skirt and sewed, then pulled the elastic through. VIOLA – this helped and looked like a skirt! I sewed the top to the bottom, turned it inside out and there you go! Instant dress that only took me about 20 minutes!

I probably should have gone a little bit slower and did things more precise, but I was more curious if this would even turn out. It definitely turned out better than I hoped and I plan to wear my new dress today!