Cheez-its were probably my most favorite snack back in the day. I almost always had a box of them at my desk to snack on. I recently saw that Earth Balance was coming out with a vegan version. I CAN.NOT.WAIT. to get my hands on these. So far no luck. it does just so happen though, that I came across this blog post last week and knew that I HAD to make some myself!
Now, these crackers didnt necessarily taste like the good-ol fashioned cheez its I remember, BUT they were a fantastic, cheezy-savory cracker that came together in no time! Milo could not get enough of these, and frankly, neither could I!
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Oat flour
- 3 Tbsp Yellow corn meal
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-4 Tbsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add dry ingredients to a food processor or blender and process to thoroughly combine.
- Then add olive oil and pulse again until crumbly.
- Add cold water 1 Tbsp at a time until it forms a loose dough. You don’t want too much water, so just add a little bit at a time. It shouldn’t need more than 3 Tbsp.
- Remove from processor and form into a loose ball with your hands. It’s actually good for this dough to be worked and warmed by the heat of your hands, so don’t worry about touching it too much. However, you are not kneading it, just forming it into a disc.
- Lay on a lightly floured surface, dust the top with flour, and roll to 1/8th inch thick with a lightly floured rolling pin. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into square crackers. Dot the centers with a fork prong wooden skewer tip to resemble a Cheez-It.
- Bake at 350 for 12-17 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.