my first quilt: finished.

Processed with VSCOcam with s2 preset

The quilt is finished! Im quite happy with it, although its far from perfect! This was a great learning experience and I actually enjoyed it.  The finished size is probably just a little short from a full size bed; I just kind of eyeballed it, making something big enough that Milo can use and grow into a little bit.

Once i finished piecing together the top I thought I was close to being done.  Unfortunatley I had about 5 more hours of work cut out ahead of me. And since I brought everything downstairs to work where I had a bigger space, I wanted to power through this. This probably explains the far from perfect part because I was getting pretty tired. I used an old sheet for the back of the quilt.

Edging: I had some difficulty here – First with understanding it, then with executing it. I made my original edging 2.5 inches, but I think i will work with at least three inches next time to give it a little more wiggle room to work with.  Also I chose to machine show it on when i sewed it on one side, it goes through it on the other side so i have to figure out the trick to making it neater.

Some tips/tools that definitely helped me through this

  1. a walking foot.  I got mixed reactions from friends saying I didnt need one – but since my machine is new, i didnt want to break it, so i opted to get one – I did break four needles however though towards the end, and the walking foot fell apart, but I dont think I could have gotten through this quilt without doing serious damage to my machine.
  2. transparent thread. what?!! didnt know this even existed.  I read somewhere to get nylon, but i couldnt find any, so i used polyester and im a little nervous its too weak, but time will tell. I was kind of racking my brain trying to figure out how I was going to pick ONE color of thread that worked well for the entire quilt, since it was so multi-colored.
  3. youtube. when in doubt, youtube it.

So I kind of power-through-ed this one, trying to get the hang of it. The purpose was to make something using scraps, and I definitely succeeded and love how it turned out – so much I already started another one….

quilt + progress.

Ok, so I’ve never finished my granny square blanket. Im not giving up on it – no way – I just do more crocheting in the winter when I hibernate in the house and watch alot of movies. Summer leaves me wanting to sew for some reason. I was looking at some new projects to take on, but the thought of buying more fabric gives me anxiety. I wanted to do something to use up the fabric stash i have, so I had the idea to make a quilt. I started sorting my fabric and notice I had alot of blue, brown, green and grey type of stuff so I went with those. Alot of it is leftover scrap fabric. Decided to go with 3 1/2 in squares; updated my rotary blade, bought a long acrylic ruler and went to town on cutting squares. This is made up of fabric scraps from previous projects, old sheets, old shirts, old pants and new fabric. I thought I would make a baby sized blanket; but then realized I have so many squares cut, might as well make a bigger one for milo. Plus its my first one, probably not going to be well done enough to give away anwyays. So i got all my fabric cut and laid out and you know what?….this hardly put a dent in my fabric stash! Doh! I used up alot of the smaller scrap pieces I had but I feel like i put back just as much as I took out. I think I see more quilts in my future.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Heres everything laid out and ready to sew!

I started sewing some squares and then rows together. I found that putting washi tape on my machine as a guide to keep a 1/4 inch seam allownance helps tremendously. Also when pinning the rows together, MAKE SURE to pin the seams. My seams arent perfect, but so much better now that I have been doing this.

IMG_6438

Here is my progress after week 1! about eight more rows to go…Then Ill decide if I’m going to add more….

Processed with VSCOcam with g1 preset

And as you can see here, the quilt is already a hit! More updates to come….

Processed with VSCOcam with s2 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with s2 preset