- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup natural cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup molasses
- 4-5 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar (for rolling)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir in oil, molasses, milk and vanilla until just blended. My batter was thick, I started with 3 T almond milk, but had to add about 2 more tablespoons to get it to nicely stick together. You dont want it to be too dry, but not too wet either.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Fill a small dish with sugar. Roll dough into thirty-six 1&1/4-inch balls and roll in the sugar to coat. Place onto prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with palm or the bottom of a glass.
- Bake in preheated oven for 11 to 14 minutes or until just barely set at the center. Let cool on a wire rack for 2 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.Original Recipe found here.