It’s apple picking season! So time to break out the apple recipes. We went apple picking and got a 1/2 peck of golden delicious, empire, and a few red delicious.
I took at stab at making this apple slab pie, since I had some leftover dough. It would normally call for a 9×13 pan, but i didnt have enough dough, so I halved the recipe and put it in a smaller, rectangular pan (probably equal to about 8×8, just proportioned differently) and it worked out perfectly. I veganized the recipe, added some of my own elements. I will DEFINITELY be making this again. It turned out to be so fantastic!
- One batch pie crust. I used this one
- 6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 2-3 T oats
- 1/2 cup earth balance
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almonds (or any kind of nuts)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare pie crust according to directions and pat it into the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- In large mixing bowl, combine apple slices, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Spread in an even layer over crust.
- In the food processor, combine the flour, butter, and brown sugar, pulsing until coarse crumbs are formed, Add the chopped nuts and oats and pulse a little bit more. Sprinkle crumb top over apple layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until filling bubbles. Cool completely.
- If preparing ahead of time to freeze. Wrap with foil and label prior to baking and freeze. Then, when ready to serve, bake the frozen pie at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375° and continue baking as directed.