my first quilt: finished.

Processed with VSCOcam with s2 preset

The quilt is finished! Im quite happy with it, although its far from perfect! This was a great learning experience and I actually enjoyed it.  The finished size is probably just a little short from a full size bed; I just kind of eyeballed it, making something big enough that Milo can use and grow into a little bit.

Once i finished piecing together the top I thought I was close to being done.  Unfortunatley I had about 5 more hours of work cut out ahead of me. And since I brought everything downstairs to work where I had a bigger space, I wanted to power through this. This probably explains the far from perfect part because I was getting pretty tired. I used an old sheet for the back of the quilt.

Edging: I had some difficulty here – First with understanding it, then with executing it. I made my original edging 2.5 inches, but I think i will work with at least three inches next time to give it a little more wiggle room to work with.  Also I chose to machine show it on when i sewed it on one side, it goes through it on the other side so i have to figure out the trick to making it neater.

Some tips/tools that definitely helped me through this

  1. a walking foot.  I got mixed reactions from friends saying I didnt need one – but since my machine is new, i didnt want to break it, so i opted to get one – I did break four needles however though towards the end, and the walking foot fell apart, but I dont think I could have gotten through this quilt without doing serious damage to my machine.
  2. transparent thread. what?!! didnt know this even existed.  I read somewhere to get nylon, but i couldnt find any, so i used polyester and im a little nervous its too weak, but time will tell. I was kind of racking my brain trying to figure out how I was going to pick ONE color of thread that worked well for the entire quilt, since it was so multi-colored.
  3. youtube. when in doubt, youtube it.

So I kind of power-through-ed this one, trying to get the hang of it. The purpose was to make something using scraps, and I definitely succeeded and love how it turned out – so much I already started another one….

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: