I really didn’t know what to think of these brownies when I saw them. I’ve successfully baked with beets before, but I wasn’t sure how black beans would work… Plus, I have a hard time with vegan brownies in general. they either turn out way too cake like or they have TONS of oil in them.
Well, what do you know? Black bean brownies turned out pretty good! I will say these are pretty rich and have a deep chocolatey flavor. They don’t have a ton of sweetener to them, so you really taste the richness of the cocoa powder. If you like dark chocolate these are definitely for you. The peanut butter really helps balance that, so don’t skimp on that! and extra bonus, they are gluten free! i don’t have very many gluten free recipes on hand, especially when it comes to baking – so it’ll be good to keep this one in mind when the time arises. Plus, it’ll be super fun to tell people they just ate brownies…with beans in them!
original recipe and instructions found here.
- 1 15 oz. can (~ 1 3/4 cups) black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 T water)
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup + 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup salted natural peanut butter (smooth or creamy)
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips + more for topping