Ok, so maybe the holidays are OFFICIALLY over, but there’s always a good place for chocolate and peppermint in my life. Plus, it gives you something to do with all those random candy canes you have lying around!
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 2 tablespoons Flax Meal
- 1/3 cup Non-dairy Milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 2/3 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup Chocolate chips
- 2 crushed candy canes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet, or line it with parchment paper.
2. Melt the Earth Balance, then set aside to cool a bit while you gather your other ingredients.
3. Combine the flax meal and the non-dairy milk in a mixing bowl, and stir them well. Add the Earth Balance, and sugar. Mix well.
5. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine, mixing with a wooden spoon. It will form a thick dough.
6. Turn out the dough onto your cookie sheet, and shape it into a long, flat log. It should be able 12 inches long and 1 inch high. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the loaf has puffed a little and the edges are turning golden. Remove from oven, let cool for at least 20 minutes.
7. When the loaf is cool enough to touch, use a large knife to slice the loaf into 1-inch slices. Try to cut each slice with one swift downward motion of the knife, so you don
8. Return the baking sheet to the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the biscotti is firm to the touch (but not hard), and is becoming a little more golden on the edges. Allow to cool.
9. Melt 1/2 cup of chocolate in a double boiler or in a microwave. Dip each piece of biscotti in the chocolate, then set on parchment paper. Sprinkle crushed candy canes over the chocolate before it cools. Let set for about 30 minutes (or 15 minutes in the fridge).