1 1/2 cups (210g.) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/8th tsp. ground cloves
1/8th tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped fine*
1 stick earth balance
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup molasses
1 tsp. ginger
1/4-1/2 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
1. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Toss in the chopped crystallized ginger,breaking up any clumps with your finger tips.
2. In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the earth balance and brown sugar. Pour in the molasses and beat well.
3. Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined (if necessary, remove the beaters and fold the dough with a rubber spatula instead, until all of the flour is just incorporated). The mixture should be thick and somewhat sticky.
4. Tear or break the dough into about 20 equal chunks, and roll each into a ball between your palms. Roll each ball in granulated sugar, and return to the fridge to keep cool. (Rolled cookies can be stored in the fridge, or frozen in an airtight container, for future baking).
5. Preheat oven to 325f.. Place balls of dough onto a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet, spacing them at least 1.5 inches apart. Bake on the middle rack for 10-12 minutes, or until the surface begins to crack – for a crispier cookie, bake a few minutes longer. Let the cookies cool 3-4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.